·Oct 31, 2020·
1 min read
I posted a while ago complaining about how slow it can be using Google docs in Chrome on my old laptop. I also work a fair amount through remote desktop. In both cases typing delay can be very frustrating. Even a slight delay can subtly cause more mistakes and a sense of friction. I did some research and came across some amazing articles on the topic:
- pavelfatin.com/typing-with-pleasure 2015
- danluu.com/keyboard-latency 2017
- danluu.com/term-latency 2017
- For quick notes Notepad is super fast - sadly it is very bare bones.
- For coding and text editing Notepad++ is a fast option. It is faster than many competitors.
- Other things that can help: a low latency keyboard, a fast monitor, and a powerful CPU.
Pavel's article was written almost 5 years ago at the time of writing in 2020. I'd love to see more recent data for VS Code, and current markdown editors. Perhaps Atom is a good substitute.